[Libav-user] Criteria for h.264 key-frame detection

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Oct 20 14:44:01 CEST 2013

Robert Krüger <krueger at ...> writes:

> So are you saying that AVPacket.key_frame should be
> set to 1 for recovery points in H.264?

No, on the contrary, I don't think this would "work"
(depending on the definition of work) in the sense
that the frame marked as key_frame cannot be
independently decoded if all recovery points were
marked as key_frames.
What I was trying to say is that the combination
of libavformat and libavcodec supports recovery
points, ie the user can choose if he wants to seek
to a recovery point or to some frame (no matter if
it can be independently decoded).
I don't think I understand the other use case of
recovery frames that you apparently have in mind.

(The disclaimer still applies but I wonder if you
know that a valid H264 stream does not necessarily
contain keyframes but still allows to seek without
corruption afaiu.)

Carl Eugen