[Libav-user] Why low qmax value improve video quality?

theateist84 theateist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 01:27:42 CEST 2013

Maybe my questions doesn't make sense due to not understanding but please
explain me what I miss because I did read posts and wiki and still it's not
clear to me.

As I understand setting low value for qmax will improve the quality by
increasing the bitrate. Maybe I didn't understood something but isn't lowing
the Q(quantization) will decrease the quantization levels and thus the
bitrate which means degradation in quality? Or in ffmpeg lowing Q means
increasing the quantization levels? If the last is true so it make sense
that lower qmax improves the quality.

If the above is true, so increasing qmax will decrease the quantization
levels which means less bits for coding a quantization level. So, if number
of bits for a level is lower, so total bits per frame will be lower, so how
the encoder manage to get to the desired bitrate?