[Libav-user] what library is linked to if w32thread is enabled

YIRAN LI mrfun.china at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 02:25:37 CEST 2013

Hi I'm building ffmpeg in MingW, and tried to build two version: one uses
w32thread and another uses pthread.

I built with --enable-shared, and seems the dlls generated are almost of
the same size.

I know MingW comes with pthead dll, so it's dynamically linked to. If 2
versions are of the same size, that means the version using w32thread also
is dynamically linked to something. (if statically linked, size should be
larger).

Could anyone tell me, which library is linked to in case w32thread is used
. When checked with dependency walker, I only saw dependency on some
windows dll, does that mean w32thread is provide via windows dlls and are
available on all Windows system?

Great thanks!