[Libav-user] How to know the output libraries names

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Sep 6 09:53:53 CEST 2013

Lucas Soltic <lucas.soltic at ...> writes:

> Is there any reliable way of knowing the names of the
> libraries that will be created by a standard FFmpeg's
> configure & make process?
> On Unix platforms there are ".so" and ".so.version",
> and on Windows, there are ".dll" and "-version.dll".

I probably misunderstand but are you suggesting that we
name the Unix shared libraries *.dll ?
(Or the Windows shared libraries *.so ?)

> This makes it hard to use FFmpeg with CMake which
> requires the library name to be already known at
> configuration time, in order to add install rules for
> example.

Why are you using CMake?
And why would linkers be interested in the complete
file name of the libraries, when I tested last, all
sane linkers tried different suffixes...

Carl Eugen