[Libav-user] Best LGPL codecs

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Apr 4 08:52:06 CEST 2014

Gonzalo Garramuno <ggarra13 at ...> writes:

> I am wondering what are the best (or some of the
> best) codecs that are LGPL and that can be used
> from the ffmpeg API.

The internal ASP encoder is difficult to tune but
said to be superior over libxvid, if you don't care
about usability libxvp-vp9 is one of the best
encoders ever, libvpx-vp8 will be your choice if
external libraries are ok.

Audio is more difficult:
libfdk looks non-free (but makes it difficult to
judge), either use lame or try a recent patch for
the internal (actually experimental) aac encoder.

This is all assuming you are not searching for
lossless codecs (and you don't have special needs
like rgb or for example bluray compatibility).

Carl Eugen