[Libav-user] wav VS raw

ReSearchIT Eng researchiteng at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 20:50:23 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> ReSearchIT Eng <researchiteng at ...> writes:
>
>> the input files (wav and raw)
>
> The files are not identical, the
> wav header is 46 bytes in your file.
> You can also test:
> $ ffmpeg -i 684.wav out.sw
> out.sw is two bytes shorter than your file
> and produces identical output when decoding:
> $ ffmpeg -i 684.wav -ab 23850 -f amr -acodec libvo_amrwbenc outwav.awb
> $ ffmpeg -ar 16k -i out.sw -ab 23850 -f amr -acodec libvo_amrwbenc outsw.awb
> $ md5sum outwav.awb outsw.awb
> bc51eace259260e06bed90a8fa953fc4  outwav.awb
> bc51eace259260e06bed90a8fa953fc4  outsw.awb

Wow, so this means there is something between header and data in my
file. I thought whatever comes after the 44 bytes it's considered
data, but it seems I was wrong.
I will give it a try with some other wav files as well.
Many thanks for help and for the tip with the .sw extension which I
think means "raw signed word", correct? Could not find it listed in
the ffmpeg -h full | grep sw . Are there other such formats, including
for flt, etc?

> If you need more help, please find out what
> top-posting means, and stop it!

>From what I understand it's the opposite of inline, so here we go:)

I appreciate a lot your help in the investigation Carl!