[Libav-user] Reasons for "moov atom not found"

Harald Schlangmann harry at gps-laptimer.de
Sat Apr 19 11:42:26 CEST 2014

HI,

I’m referring to my functions reading in a video, decoding it, applying some manipulations to the frames, encoding it and writing it to a changed video. Depending on the video length or size or other factors I’m not yet clear on, the result written is sometimes reported as corrupted. Applying ffprobe, the message is

	[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x10280a200] moov atom not found
	<some video path>.mp4: Invalid data found when processing input

My observation is the risk this corruption occurs increases with video size (FullHD at 1080 in particular) and video length.

From reading various threads I understand the “moov atom not found" is an indication the video’s trailer is not written completely. The sequence I use to close the finished result is:

        int     ret = av_write_trailer (assetWriter->oc);

        if (assetWriter->video_st)
            close_video (assetWriter);

        if (assetWriter->audio_st)
            close_audio (assetWriter);

        if (!(assetWriter->fmt->flags&AVFMT_NOFILE))
            ret = avio_close (assetWriter->oc->pb);

Not shown in the code fragment, I have verified all calls to the av* functions in this sequence are executed and return zero = Success.

Any idea what the reason for the corruption might be and how to work around? Thanks for your ideas.

Greetings Harald

-
Harald Schlangmann
Antwerpener Str. 52, 50672 Köln, Germany
+49 151 2265 4439
Harry at gps-laptimer.de
www.gps-laptimer.de