[Libav-user] Questions about ColorSpace conversion in swscale

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Aug 21 13:45:09 CEST 2014

Markus Pfundstein <markuspfundstein86 at ...> writes:

> some conversions use yuv420p as> intermediate format
> (this is what is generally needed> for video). It is
> possible to use yuv444p instead, at> least for some
> conversions.
>
> If yuv420p is used as an intermediate format,
> wouldnt that result into heavy information loss?

As said, you can force libswscale to use yuv444p
as intermediate format which makes conversion
slower which is often undesired.

[...]

> Assume I want to convert from rgb fullrange to
> yuv444 BT709.

In this case, no intermediate colour space should
be used.

[...]

> This is something I would like to know from the
> swscale developer. Are there 16bit paths or is
> the conversion done via 8bit?

As said, if you find that a 16bit path is missing,
please explain how I can reproduce this.

Carl Eugen