[Libav-user] Filtering audio example : filtering_audio.c - Why do we use uint16_t

Bruce Wheaton bruce at spearmorgan.com
Wed Dec 3 15:51:35 CET 2014

> My question is, when casting signed to unsigned, is there any possibility that the signal gets modified due to the 2-complementation (or are the samples always positive somehow) ?

Casting does not change the value of the samples at all. It's just tells the compiler that they are something different. The samples may well be treated as signed again when the actual work is done. Possibly the choice of unsigned helps with something else, such as auto-vectorization of a copy or other scalar operation.