[Libav-user] MPEG-2 bitstream & huffman coding

Vojtěch Král vojtech at kral.hk
Sat Feb 1 12:52:10 CET 2014

Hello,
   for my current project I need to learn about MPEG-2 video bitstream
format
as well as how huffman/vlc coding is applied for MPEG-2.
Using ffmpeg I can extract raw stream, using libav I'm able to extract
raw frames.

Would it be possible to extract raw data after vlc decoding but before
video decoding?
This would be very useful because I could study the bitstream structure
on real data.
I am willing to modify libav code if need be. I have already identified
the parts of libav
code which implement vlc decoding. (It seems it's also used by other
codecs.)
I'd be glad if you could point me in general direction as to how this
could be done.

Also, is there any information source describing MPEG-2 bistream format
besides the standard?
The standard itself is very large, very verbose and it's quite a
challenge to find and extract
relevant information.

Thanks for any advice.
Best Regards,