[Libav-user] Detection of the first NAL unit of a primary coded picture in H.264 bitstream

Stanislav Smida s at svagant.com
Sun Feb 23 23:38:52 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

I believe the problem will be trivial for experienced lib users, but I’m desperate (I’ve never used ffmpeg before). I have raw H.264 bitstream (NALUs as (const void *)bytes) and I need to determine which NALU is access unit (first NALU of the next frame). Can someone give me a hint how to do that?

In <libavcodec/h264.h> I’ve found `H264Context` struct and its fields like `got_first` and `ref_count[]` but I don’t have an idea how to initialize this context and flow particular NALUs through this context.

Thanks, best,
Stano