[Libav-user] Decoding external subtitles

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 28 23:54:08 CET 2014

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 22:25:33 +0200
Mert Gedik <gedikmert89 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes ,that's right how ever there are many subtitle formats and
> I don't want to implement every subtitle parser by myself ...
> Ffmpeg has already many decoders for subtitles, therefore I want to find an
> easy way to pass subtitle file to ffmpeg.
>
> but how to do this ?

All ffmpeg can do is convert text subtitles to ASS, which is a subtitle
format that can handle most forms of text formatting.

You could try to make ffmpeg convert subtitles to ASS (see vf_subtitles
how to do that), and then strip or convert ASS format format tags.

Or you could do it properly and use libass directly to render text in
screen resolution.