[Libav-user] FFmpeg + OpenAL - playback streaming sound from video won't work

Jan Drabner jan at jdrabner.eu
Tue Jan 28 12:33:09 CET 2014

Well, I wrote that I am decoding Ogg (with theora and vorbis as codecs).
I thought that was enough. Probably not :)
I never set the decoding formats myself, instead I use the ffmpeg
function to find the correct decoders automatically.

Sorry for the top-posting. It just normally doesn't matter when writing
emails. Now I know it.

"and please do not open tickets on trac with support requests, I
consider this very bad practice."
You are right. But I never asked for support. I reported what is in my
opinion bug.
swr_convert crashes under some circumstances, without telling any
reason. If that is not a bug, or a severely lacking feature or
documentation, I don't know what is.
I still have no idea why it should not be possible to convert from any
format to any other. sws_scale can do that just fine. And as swr_convert
is exactly the same as sws_scale (just for audio), from a user
perspective, I was assuming it should behave the same.

A simple addition to the documentation "Following conversions are
invalid: ..." would be VERY helpful. If that even was the problem.