[Libav-user] decoding mp4 questions

Adam Billyard adambillyard at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 14 13:49:17 CEST 2014

On 14 Jun 2014, at 12:05, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 11:40:03 +0100
> Adam Billyard <adambillyard at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>

>> All the examples I can find of using swscale to convert an AVFrame from YUV to RGB, use the *CodecContext* width and height:
>>
>> eg
>>
>> sws_getContext(pCodecCtx->width, pCodecCtx->height,
>>                        pCodecCtx->pix_fmt,
>>                         dst_width, dst_height, PIX_FMT_RGB24, SWS_BILINEAR,
>>                        NULL, NULL, NULL);
>
> All ffmpeg examples I've seen were either outdated or broken. Nowadays
> you should just use the AVFrame parameters.

So true - and sad that such a great engineering effort lacks even basic up to date examples.

>> But when I decode a 1024x768 mp4 movie, the CodecContext->width is 8 and height 1024..  Is that expected?
>
> No, that seems unusual. Normally the codec context should have the
> parameters of the last AVFrame returned, I think. Maybe something fishy
> is going on.

Yes, thats what I expected - and if I use the last Frame dimensions all looks fine (modulo the issue below).  Bit worrying where CodecCtx is copying that width=8 from..  I began wondering whether its actually a slice, but avcodec_decode_video2() is claiming it has a "framefinished".

>> So I have been using:
>>
>> sws_getContext(frame->width, frame->height, pCodecCtx->pix_fmt,
>> 			 dst_width, dst_height, PIX_FMT_RGB24, SWS_BILINEAR,
>>                         NULL, NULL, NULL);
>>

>> ie after decoding an AVFrame, I use its (now known) size to get my sws context.  Is this correct?
>
> Yes. Also, sws_getContext is deprecated.

Oh!  So I thought that was the new way over img_convert()!

What should I be using to convert a AVFrame of YUV to RGB (and resize)?  And any reference source to look at?  I do particular want a CPU-based solution not one relying on GPU.

>> Lastly, I find this works fine for .mov and .avi containers, but for .mp4 movies, it all runs but looks like I'm just getting chroma with extra crud of missing/stale macroblocks..
>>
>> Video of me pointing at an iPad screen looks like this:
>> http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt229/ElektraGlide/ScreenShot2014-06-14at113519_zps126c6638.png
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> No. Does playback with ffplay work? Also, mov and mp4 are the same
> format.

They all play fine with VLC, ffplay etc.  I'm confident the streams are valid.

However, I just noted this log message when starting to stream:

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/Users/xxxxxxxxx.mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : mp42
    minor_version   : 0
    compatible_brands: mp42isom
    creation_time   : 2014-01-24 17:23:18
  Duration: 00:02:49.17, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1149 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (Main) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 1024x768, 1144 kb/s, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 3k tbn, 60 tbc
    Metadata:
      creation_time   : 2014-01-24 17:23:18
    Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 2 kb/s
    Metadata:
      creation_time   : 2014-01-24 17:23:18
found video codec for format: 768x1024 using yuvj420p
[h264 @ 0x59c0600] Missing reference picture, default is 0
[h264 @ 0x59c0600] decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 0x59c0600] concealing 3072 DC, 3072 AC, 3072 MV errors in P frame
[h264 @ 0x5ad5a00] reference picture missing during reorder
[h264 @ 0x5ad5a00] Missing reference picture, default is 65540
[h264 @ 0x5939c00] mmco: unref short failure
[h264 @ 0x5939c00] reference picture missing during reorder
[h264 @ 0x5939c00] Missing reference picture, default is 66820
[h264 @ 0x593a400] mmco: unref short failure
[h264 @ 0x593a400] number of reference frames (0+6) exceeds max (5; probably corrupt input), discarding one

So ffmpeg is missing the initial I-frame - hence all the B/P deltas from there on make a colorful mess.

I tried rewinding the stream before I start, but it makes no difference.

Is there anything in the dump info that indicates a problem?