[Libav-user] How to add proprietary encoder like x264 to the FFmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Jun 19 12:37:34 CEST 2014

Min <mincheju at ...> writes:

> I'd like to know what is the legal process to add
> my own encoder to the FFmpeg's libavcodec.

There is no legal process, you send your patch to
the ffmpeg-devel mailing list where it gets reviewed
and will be committed once the review process is
finished.

> I know that x264 is one of the encoders provided
> on the libavcodec.

Yes and no.
x264 is not a part of libavcodec, you may compile
libavcodec so that it offers a wrapper for x264.

> And also any companies which use x264 encoder need
> to get a proper license from x264 group.

This doesn't sound correct / you are mixing things
up here.

> I'm wondering if I develop commercial video encoding
> product, what do I need to add the commercial encoder
> to the libavcodec?

Please read the LGPL, it should answer all your
questions.

Carl Eugen