[Libav-user] reduce dll size

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Mar 4 01:14:28 CET 2014

YIRAN LI <mrfun.china at ...> writes:

> I'm building ffmpeg dlls for Windows using MingW, and
> the dlls I got seems quite large. libavcodec 8 MB and
> libavformat 1.5 MB.

This sounds like unstripped sizes, as explained you
normally want stripped libraries (that are significantly
smaller).
If you don't need all decoders, use the configure option
--disable-everything and enable the parts of FFmpeg you
need (there are also --disable-encoders and friends, see
configure --help).

You may want to test the result of your configure line,
note that for example some demuxers have dependencies
that are not immediately obvious, and parsers are often
needed.

Note that combining libavcodec and libavformat into one
library is not supported here, if you do it, please do
not ask for support;-)

(You may of course ask for support if your particular
configure line does not work the way you need it: Just
post it and tell us what doesn't work.)

Carl Eugen