[Libav-user] Good libavfilter tutorial

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Fri Mar 7 22:33:48 CET 2014

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 06:42:30PM +0100, wm4 wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 09:15:12 -0800
> Ricky Huang <rhuang.work at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am new to libavfilter and I am currently learning how to develop my own filter for frame analysis.  I am using this tutorial/guide, http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_filter_HOWTO, and it feels outdated being modified last on July 2010.  The example it uses, vf_negatem, does not exist any more.  Also the libavfilter documentation packaged in the ffmpeg source only describes what they are, now how to write one.
> >
> > Any pointers would be appreciated.   Thanks.
> >

> Extract the code from ffplay.c or ffmpeg_filter.c.

For writing a filter, the best way to do it is to actually look at
existing filters. It really depends on the filter you actually want to
write. Is it a simple one frame in, one frame out? If so you can look at
simple filters like edgedetect.

Also, since libavfilter is monolithic and you can basically only write
filter for the library, feel free to ask on ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org.

--
Clément B.