[Libav-user] segmentation fault on avcodec_decode_video2( ) call

Jason Blum jason.j.blum at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 15:28:30 CET 2014

> What do you mean, your compilation ignores them?

Any time I specify libraries to link to (-lavcodec), it only
recognizes the old .so libraries in my /usr/lib/x86_64-linux. In an
IDE, if I specify the exact path of the new .a files, like
/usr/local/lib/libavcodec.a, it has hundreds of undefined reference
errors. I am also using include paths like /usr/local/include. Is
there something special you have to do to link to a static library? I
saw some people online say you need -static, but that didn't make a
difference.

I am new at this, so I could be missing something very simple. But
when I searched online for responses to this problem, they were all
very simple things, like accidentally leaving "lib" in a -l flag, and
I'm not making that kind of mistake.

My next step was to use the command line instead of the IDE so I could
be 100% sure about what flags I'm feeding it.

Thanks,
Jason