[Libav-user] reduce dll size

YIRAN LI mrfun.china at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 00:00:51 CET 2014

> YIRAN LI <mrfun.china at ...> writes:
>
> > I'm trying to build all components into one dll, because my manager
> > insisted that building into a single dll may save space by avoiding
> > build duplicated code into separate dlls.
>
> How is this supposed to work?
>
> Or, to rephrase: What are the duplicated code parts that you found
> in different FFmpeg dlls and how much (in %) did they take of the
> overall space?
>
> Hi Carl, I know those functions like strcpy strlen are linked from
msvcrt.dll so they are not duplicated.
But to be honest I'm not familiar with Linux build so I don't know how to
check or if there's any other
duplicate code that might be statically linked into separated dlls. So it's
just a guess:(

 > I think ffmpeg uses those automake tools
>
> No.
> (Do you find that the content of our configure script looks
> automake-made or the output? I am curious.)
>
> Please fix your quoting, Carl Eugen
>
> For the configure, in fact I totally have no idea on autotools so it's
also a guess. Sorry for that.
So if it's not generated by autotools, the configure and  Makefiles are all
handwritten?

Thanks