[Libav-user] Motion estimation : replacement for deprecated AVFrame::motion_val ?

Camera Man i.like.privacy.too at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 23:38:11 CET 2014

On 03/28/2014 12:18 PM, cyril poulet wrote:

> As a matter of fact, I wanted to use them for computer vision, where
> calculating edge densities and motion estimation are important.
> Now that these are deprecated, the only way is to first decode each
> frame then re-calculate MVs and DCTs, which is computationnally costly...

You probably don't want to use them for computer vision; They are
specifically optimized for minimizing visual artifacts on one hand, and
staying within protocol constraints on the other (e.g. some streams have
no I-frames but do have guaranteed "frame convergence" - which means the
motion on those is guaranteed to be "wrong").

It's not that they can't be useful, it's that the MV information is
"very noisy" compared to what you'd get from computer vision stuff.
Doing a pyramid Lucas-Kanade (openCV and libccv both have good
implementations, supposedly) does not require a lot of CPU and provides
vastly better motion estimation for computer vision.