[Libav-user] Is frame with PTS needed for every fps interval?

Ken Bass daytooner at gmail.com
Wed May 14 17:30:30 CEST 2014

I am capturing video frames from web cams. These frames are returned from
the device asynchronously - that is, not at any constant interval. I want
to encode, then write them to a video file via "av_interleaved_write_frame"
that was initialized to a specific fps rate.

Question: can I simply write out each frame as I receive it, with an
appropriate PTS? This would most likely skip expected frames. Also, the
captured frame most likely wouldn't be written at the specified fps
interval.

I am also capturing audio. Since that stream is continuous, I can write out
a block of samples at the appropriate fps period (again, via
"av_interleaved_write_frame") at the appropriate fps period.

I just need some clarifications of this process.

TIA

ken