[Libav-user] Is frame with PTS needed for every fps interval?

Raymond Blum raygeeknyc at gmail.com
Thu May 15 04:03:56 CEST 2014

Hi
  I posted a question last week about this for an almost identical use case
(no responses).

I found that while I am encoding my frames with the appropriate PTS for
their absolute offset in time from the beginning of the stream, my player
(ffplay) still showed the video at the time_base rate.  My video was MPEG1
and I found references that only certain encodings would support variable
frame rate.  I also found an older thread where people were arguing that
VFR is or is not supported.

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 7:38 PM, NITIN GOYAL <nitinkumgoyal at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Ken Bass <daytooner at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Question: can I simply write out each frame as I receive it, with an
>> appropriate PTS? This would most likely skip expected frames. Also, the
>> captured frame most likely wouldn't be written at the specified fps
>> interval.
>>

> I think I am not clear on your question but as per my understanding, For
> the raw frames, if you will get them in a proper manner of PT, ti will
> create less issues in encoding process. May be you can buffer some frames
> and then send it to encode the frames and thus there wont be any skipped
> frames.

---
Empathy is the realization that another creature is self aware