[Libav-user] Is frame with PTS needed for every fps interval?

Ken Bass daytooner at gmail.com
Thu May 15 04:55:27 CEST 2014

To put it another way: must there be a one-to-one correspondence between
the frame interval and the PTS? That is, if I initialize the stream for
30fps, must frame 0 have PTS 0, frame 1 have PTS 33000, frame 2 have PTS
66000?

What I would like to do is this:

I write out the first frame with PTS of 0. I write out the next frame with
PTS of 50000 (50ms). The next with PTS of 90000 (90ms).

Will libav let me do this? And what happens with playback?

If need be, I can simply duplicate the last frame if a new one is not
available at the expected interval. But, then, what if a new frame arrives
in between intervals? Can I set its PTS the the actual PTS, or must it be
adjusted up to the next interval?

Thanks for the response.

ken