[Libav-user] Best File Container Format for editing Video/Audio? (2nd try)

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 14:37:33 CEST 2014

Sorry if this email gets sent twice.  It never showed in the archive.  Yahoo mail sux:

 I wrote a libAV-based application which edits a video file.  It takes a video
 file as input, along with the Edit List.  The input video file is an AVI container
 and was created by ffmpeg or mencoder during the inverse-telecine step.
 The Edit list contains a list of Start/Stop PTS pairs.  The output is simply
 another video file based on those Start/Stop PTS pairs.

 It's fairly simple.  But, it ignores audio and I want to modify it to include audio.
 What can I do to make this easier to code in libAV?  Choose another container?

 Also, in this thread, I might be using the words 'frame' and 'packet' incorrectly.

 With AVI files, this seems complicated since the number of audio frames does not
 always equal the number of video frames.  So, I'd have to split the audio packets or
 frames into individual samples, and decide which samples should be in the output file.

 Is there an easier way?  Is there a container format where the number of audio
 packets or frames exactly equals the number of video packets?  If so, this could be a lot
 easier for me.  Whenever I include a video frame, I would only have to include
 the corresponding audio frame.  Does that make any sense?