[Libav-user] Encode video: Pro Res 422

Info || Non-Lethal Applications info at non-lethal-applications.com
Fri May 16 15:27:51 CEST 2014

Hey there,

I’m trying to encode a sequence of images into Pro Res 422 in the MOV container.
I already had a look at the example: muxing.c  and it looks promising.

However, I can’t figure out how to tell the encoder to use ProRes instead of H.264 for MOV.
Here’s what I’ve tried (mostly unaltered sample …):

AVOutputFormat* pOutputFmt;
AVFormatContext* pFormatCtx;
AVStream* pVideoStream;
AVCodec* pVideoCodec;

/* Initialize libavcodec, and register all codecs and formats. */
av_register_all();

/* allocate the output media context */
avformat_alloc_output_context2(&pFormatCtx, NULL, "mov", filename.c_str());

From my understanding, the second parameter (NULL in my code) is the output format that is to be used and I assume that I can define what I want my output format to be with that parameter.
However, AVOutputFormat is a struct with a bunch of fields and I’m not sure if manually setting all of them is the right way.
Also, I’d like to have the option to write different Pro Res profiles and I couldn’t find an option for that so far.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction/resource.
Thanks!

Flo