[Libav-user] Fwd: Keyframe injection

Vadim Fedorov coderiks at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 19:19:09 CET 2014

Dear all,

I am implementing a fast seeking with libavformat and libavcodec. For this
I want to do something with possibly large distance between two sequential
keyframes. In short, my plan was to cache some decoded P-frames and then
substitute them as pseudo keyframes on-flight when needed. Let's say the
GOP size is 250, then I can cache 5-10 intermediate P-frames to speedup
seeking.

My question is: is it possible to inject such pre-decoded frame into the
codec and start decoding from it and not from the original keyframe? Or am
I insane?

Best regards,
Vadim