[Libav-user] avi pcm messed up

Anton Shekhovtsov shekh.anton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 15:24:35 CET 2014

Hi,
I have some inconsistencies with pcm audio stream in avi format.
The file is transcoded from valid h264, aac mp4 with simple ffmpeg command
line "-c:v h264 -c:a pcm_s16le". Also repeated same transcoding to mov
format.

1) AVStream.duration is not specified - fine in mov

2) AVStream.nb_frames is the number of samples (the same as expected
duration) - same in mov

3) AVIndexEntry.timestamp is in bytes not samples - fine in mov
I guess it is in bytes because if I take timestamp from last index entry,
add size and divide by 4 I get exactly the number of samples.

Are these bugs or there is reliable way to interpret the values?
I compiled my test with Zeranoe build from 2014-11-25