[Libav-user] Achieving lowest possible latency RTMP stream - Client configuration

Gregory King greg at kooji.com
Mon Sep 29 13:53:38 CEST 2014

I have node-rtsp-rtmp-server (https://github.com/iizukanao/node-rtsp-rtmp-server) serving up an RTMP stream nicely and I can configure strobe media player to play with very little latency (fraction of a second) using something like this setup (https://gist.github.com/iizukanao/de7f3c1200c1513f159e)

However, whenever I use ffmpeg I come across more buffering than I require for my application.  I happen to be using kxmovie on ios as the client and I've recompiled ffmpeg with the default buffer for rtmp set to 0 from 3000, but this appears to make no difference (though my server is now acknowledging the buffer is being set to 0).

So I'm really looking for some pointers as to what parameters I need to tweak in ffmpeg to achieve the similar low latency that strobe media player is achieving.  Any hints?

Thanks,