[Libav-user] Playing back Sony SR encoded file

Info || Non-Lethal Applications info at non-lethal-applications.com
Tue Feb 10 17:35:03 CET 2015

Hey guys,

trying to playback a file encoded with the Sony SR codec but getting a lot of decoder errors and later a crash:

[mpeg4 @ 0x1071cbe00] only rectangular vol supported
[mpeg4 @ 0x1071cbe00] Invalid Complexity estimation method 2
Marker bit missing before time_increment
[mpeg4 @ 0x1071cbe00] hmm, seems the headers are not complete, trying to guess time_increment_bits
[mpeg4 @ 0x1071cbe00] my guess is 16 bits ;)
Marker bit missing before vop_coded
[mpeg4 @ 0x1071cbe00] only rectangular vol supported
[mpeg4 @ 0x1071cbe00] Invalid Complexity estimation method 2
[mpeg4 @ 0x1071cbe00] only rectangular vol supported
[mpeg4 @ 0x1071cbe00] Invalid Complexity estimation method 2
Marker bit missing before time_increment
[mpeg4 @ 0x1071cbe00] hmm, seems the headers are not complete, trying to guess time_increment_bits
[mpeg4 @ 0x1071cbe00] my guess is 16 bits ;)
Marker bit missing before vop_coded
…

I already found out that this codec is based upon MPEG 4 - Part 2.
Libav detects it as AV_CODEC_ID_MPEG4, so this doesn’t look too bad.

Could this probably be related to the fact that libav automatically uses the newer Part 10 which does then not support the older variant?
Any idea how I could make it work? (I only know little about MPEG 4 so stepping through the code would not help much I guess).

Thanks!