[Libav-user] Updated libav/ffmpeg tutorial

Stephen Dranger dranger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 17:41:06 CET 2015

Sorry, the reference to packet->dts is an oversight on my part in changing
the code. To more closely match ffplay.c I'll update it to be:

 if((pts = av_frame_get_best_effort_timestamp(pFrame))  == AV_NOPTS_VALUE) {
   pts = 0;
 }

Later on in the code, if pts is 0, the player will simply set the pts to an
external clock, which isn't the best, but it doesn't cover dropping frames,
and it's what ffplay used to do. Is there a better option that is a simple
fix?

I'm getting too much credit if people think I came up with any of this
syncing code; all of it is based off of the ffplay.c source from 2007. The
only work I did is trying to explain it to people. It definitely needs to
be updated, but hopefully all the incorrect information is gone.