[Libav-user] Using AVStream.codec.time_base as a timebase hint to the muxer is deprecated

Bradley O'Hearne brado at bighillsoftware.com
Fri Jan 9 06:06:33 CET 2015

Hello…

I have some previously error-free working encoding code that since an update a few months ago of the libav source is now outputting the following message to the console:

[flv @ 0x1069bbc00] Using AVStream.codec.time_base as a timebase hint to the muxer is deprecated. Set AVStream.time_base instead.

In conjunction with this issue, the resulting video quality after streaming (which was previously perfect) is now distorted (the bottom half of the video image is neon green — though this latter issue might have been caused by a switch from RTMP to RTMPS, though the reason this would be isn’t exactly apparent yet). Suffice to say that no code changes were made…just the rtmp to rtmps protocol change in the destination URL, along with newer libraries from compiling more recent libav source code (late 2014).

I’ve haven’t found anything in the AVCodecContext or AVStream source documentation that points the way on how to resolve the console message issue above. I also did done some searching for others with the problem, and I came across this issue, where others appear to have the same issue:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/3741

The ticket seems to indicate the problem is still open, and there’s no apparent cause or fix been identified. Can anyone shed some light on this problem, and what the proper way to address it in code?

Thanks,

Brad