[Libav-user] Would anyone find an OS X / Cocoa / Swift wrapper for Libav useful?

Info || Non-Lethal Applications info at non-lethal-applications.com
Sun Jan 25 00:53:36 CET 2015

> On 25 Jan 2015, at 00:46, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 00:25:34 +0100

>>> The main issue is actually that the FFmpeg API is pretty low-level,
>>> while many users expect something higher level. (Somewhat typical: a
>>> user wants frame N of video in a specific format. Yeah, implementing
>>> this using the raw FFmpeg API will take some time.)
>>

>> I’d like to chime in on that one.
>> While I’m using FFmpeg on OS X only (at least right now), I wouldn’t insist of having an OS X only wrapper.
>> A C++ cross-platform one would work just as well for me.
>
> Sure, that's kind of hard to do with Cocoa/Swift.
>
> (Also, C++ APIs are useful for C++ code only.)

Not exactly. They don’t work in Swift (there are also ways to use C++ source there) but they can be used in Objective-C (then called Objective-C++) without any action on the developer’s side.
You simply need to change the file extension from m to mm. Not a big deal.

>> Alternatively, it would be really cool to add a high-level API for the most common use cases to the roadmap:
>> Getting frame N of video in a specific format, getting audio samples from N to M in a specific format.
>
> I don't think the FFmpeg project would be opposed to adding such a
> high-level (C) API. It was often talked about, but of course nobody has
> time etc….

Well, then the only solution is creating a high level wrapper?