[Libav-user] Would anyone find an OS X / Cocoa / Swift wrapper for Libav useful?

Thomas Worth dev at rarevision.com
Mon Jan 26 06:28:55 CET 2015

> > Anyway, in this case I got upset because someone was arguing for
> > questionable Apple vendor-lockin
>
> For a Mac app, yeah, I’d love a wrapper native to the platform I’m working
> on. It changes nothing that exists already in the FFmpeg API. It merely
> adds an option for those who can benefit. You don’t want to use it, fine —
> but it hurts nothing, and helps plenty.

Brad, I'm a bit confused. An Apple-specific audio/video API already exists:
AVFoundation. It is Objective-C based, and is capable of performing general
purpose audiovisual tasks. It is also documented fairly well, certainly
more so than ffmpeg/libav. I use it in my apps to write MOV files instead
of ffmpeg because I can be guaranteed the MOVs written will be compatible
with the rest of Apple's products. Have you given AVFoundation a try? Is
portability critical? Why stress over ffmpeg when you've got AVFoundation?