[Libav-user] Would anyone find an OS X / Cocoa / Swift wrapper for Libav useful?

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 27 09:45:08 CET 2015

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:32:47 +0100
Lucas Soltic <lucas.soltic at orange.fr> wrote:

> > Le 27 janv. 2015 à 07:26, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> a écrit :

> >> I’ve been on this mailing list over three years. Numerous times I’ve attempted to engage this list in discussions in hopes of definitively understanding FFmpeg at a deeper level, and leaving a discussion trail which others traveling the same path which I have could benefit from who  I’ve inquired about documentation, design and architectural decisions. I’ve asked questions about how various X things are accomplished for the same reason. I’ve contributed a fully working real-time capture-encode-stream app whose code has sat on Github for over a year and has been linked to several times on this mailing list. This time, I once again tried to find a way I could contribute something to FFmpeg which based on the clients I serve, is exactly what FFmpeg needs — and so I appealed to the community in hopes of finding others whom it would help as well. All of this is directly aimed at contributing.
> >>
> >> In all of the cases above, the efforts proved futile (save some of the folks I’ve met and good conversations I’ve had a result off-list as a result). The very ingrained collective personality of this mailing list is a one-trick pony — when you can’t stand toe-to-toe technically, turn the turrets on the person, and make the conversation personal. Same thing here…avoid the issue, fault the person. If you want a fail-safe formula for pushing contributors away, well you’ve got it.
> >
> > No, no. As I said before, there are barely any developers on this list.
> > I guess people don't like giving tech support (especially for free). If
> > you want to get involved, get on ffmpeg-devel and on the IRC channel.
> >
> > As for contributing... I haven't seen a single FFmpeg patch from you,
> > and not a single post from you on the ffmpeg-devel list in the last few
> > years (you know... the place where ffmpeg devs actually reading any
> > posts).
> >
> >> As I stated before…you win. Your worries about threatening FFmpeg by bringing its API out of the realm of the propellor-heads and propagating clarity and understanding rather than keeping FFmpeg a black art are unnecessary. I’ll contribute elsewhere.
> >
> > Well, you're not contributing in the first place. Your suggested wrapper
> > would have no value for the project either, because it'd be completely
> > Apple locked-in.
> >
> > If you want to view yourself as a victim of the evil open source
> > conspiracy, you can do that, but please refrain from such stupid
> > allegations. It's quite funny to hear that when I've always argued for
> > API simplification and introducing higher level APIs.

> wm4, you're being awfully demoralizing and narrow minded.

More than "this project is shit, let's write a wrapper to compensate
for both technical and social issues without even asking the devs
first"?

(Oh yeah, and sorry for my disinterest in Apple tech.)

> This discussion is already by itself a great contribution: giving ideas about what should be improved and pointing out what are FFmpeg weakness. Instead of taking advantage of these you just throw the efforts away. Just the kind of stuff that makes sure you won't get more source code contribution.

Except that it's a storm (or flame) in a bottle, and nobody outside
cares about this discussion. It's not like I'm a FFmpeg developer
either.