[Libav-user] Would anyone find an OS X / Cocoa / Swift wrapper for Libav useful?

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 27 18:49:54 CET 2015

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:09:58 -0700
Bradley O'Hearne <brado at bighillsoftware.com> wrote:

> > On Jan 26, 2015, at 11:26 PM, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > No, no. As I said before, there are barely any developers on this list.
>
> I don’t believe that — as I’ve spoken with them in the past,

Did you really? Again, I see no real proof of this. You maybe talked to
_some_ FFmpeg devs (and not even main FFmpeg devs), just like _some_
FFmpeg devs sometimes write here.

It's a bit regrettable that libav-user turned into a place where
confused users are parked and forgotten. But there's a reason for this.
The most common threads here can be put into one of 3 categories:

1. Users with a low level of understanding of low level multimedia
   concepts, and properly replying to them would be the same effort as
   holding a multimedia class.
2. Users which want to do something awfully special, and solving the
   problem for them would be a lot of work (many of these could also go
   in category 1 or 3).
3. Users which could easily solve their problem by actually reading the
   documentation or doing a little bit research themselves (they
   should go to stackoverflow instead - the gamification system makes
   other people help for free, even if it's tedious as hell).

So in general, it's just tedious and unsatisfying to be active on this
list, and people better go doing things that are more productive. Nobody
here is paid to give support.

> but if this is true, there’s a major problem right there: complete
disconnect with your user-base. If you don’t know the needs of API
consumers and where the API is showing to be cumbersome or in need of
revision or improvement, then you are missing some very valuable input.

This is true, but it doesn't falsify my argument: if you actually
want to change anything, you need to put some effort into it, rather
than waiting that others do.

Also, it's not really a disconnect with the user-base. It's a
disconnect between libav-user and users who never get close to the
project. "Good" users contribute patches and do get a say in the
development process.

> > I guess people don't like giving tech support (especially for free).
>
> All the more reason FFmpeg needs to be well documented and intuitive.

Where did anyone disagree with this? Again, I haven't seen a single
patch from you, not even something as trivial as adding a small bit of
documentation. This makes the way you represent yourself look very
questionable.

> > As for contributing... I haven't seen a single FFmpeg patch from you,
>
> > Well, you're not contributing in the first place. Your suggested wrapper
>
> If you spent a little less time trying to personally impugn people and listen to what they are actually saying, y

And here is where I give up and stop wasting my own time.