[Libav-user] setting raw alsa pkt size

daggs daggs at gmx.com
Wed May 13 10:06:53 CEST 2015

Greetings,

I'm writing a program that needs to capture an X session on linux.
as a design decision I've decided to split the grab and encode to two different threads.
each input (e.g. video and audio) has it's own set of threads.

the reason for that is not to overload the grabbing thread so I can get the max possible bandwidth.
this means that both inputs are using raw formats, for video it is 8.5 mb per frame which is reasonable.
but for audio I get a whopping 939834256 which translates into 939 mb which is unacceptable for me.
looking at the code I see that the default codec format is AV_CODEC_ID_PCM_S16LE.

I was wondering if here is a way to reduce raw capture audio frame size to more reasonable amount?

p.s. another issue comes to mind is whether my assumption that having the grab and the encode in the same thread will overload it.

Thanks,

Dagg.