[Libav-user] how can i use cisco openh264 encoder in ffmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Apr 17 23:08:30 CEST 2016

Josef Vosyka <pepavo at ...> writes:

> It comes from here:
> https://github.com/cisco/openh264/releases

Thank you for this link, that was I was asking for!

How is this supposed to work? From openh264 pov?

They offer libraries for download but no header?
How do I know where to put the header files so
that random applications (including but not
limited to FFmpeg) finds them?

The answer apparently is "use pkg-config" (which
is imo an abomination) which doesn't exist on
osx by default and which afaict is also not
part of the binary distribution.

Sorry to say it but thank you for proving my
suspicion that this whole thing is not really
thought through...

I suggest you force libopenh264 enabled in
config.h and config.mak and put the headers
into /usr/include/wels or /something/wels
and use --extra-cflags=-I/something

I will try to provide a fix for this incredible
mess.

Carl Eugen