[Libav-user] How to change h.264 video encoding bitrate

Loren Garavaglia loren.garavaglia at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 05:34:56 EEST 2016

I'm trying to change the bitrate of my video encoding part-way through
processing my input video. I found that if just change the bit_rate value
for the codec context the program will show that it continues to encode
frames, but when I playback the video it stops at the point that I changed
the bitrate.

Basing my project off of the decoding_encoding.c example, the only way that
I have been able to get it to work so far has been to completely close all
of my codec contexts and format context, restart them and then start
encoding again with the new bitrate value. However, when I do this the
encoding starts from the beginning of the video again.

Is there a way to change the bitrate of video encoding without restarting
all of the contexts?  If not is there a way for me to restart the encoding
at the point that I left off in the video?

Thanks,
Loren