[Libav-user] Ffmpeg license.

Gonzalo ggarra13 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 01:12:09 CET 2016

El 23/02/16 a las 19:37, Mohamed Moanis escribiĆ³:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about the license of using ffmpeg libraries in a
> commercial application, does it imply that the application be open
> source or free?!
>
> I am afraid that some companies could be using ffmpeg for commercial
> applications and making profit, while the developers behind it take
> zero credits or at least don't get paid for their work.
>
> Regards.

Note:  I am not a lawyer, so take it with a grain of salt.

You can use LGPL ffmpeg in a commercial (closed source) application as
long as you comply with the LGPL license (you provide it with your
software mainly and allow users to dynamically link another version of
the library) and compile ffmpeg in LGPL mode (without enable-gpl and
others).
Developers get paid if you need a custom version of the library compiled
(see zeranoe for example).
Besides the LGPL you need to consider patents and licensing.  For
example, h264, IIRC, pays its patent dues to the Academy of Motion
Picture but only after some 100,000 copies of your software are sold.
Companies that use FFMPEG in an illegal way are scratched in the ffmpeg
web page of shame.

As usual, for all legal matters, consult a lawyer.

--
Gonzalo GarramuƱo
ggarra13 at gmail.com