[Libav-user] Setting bit_rate or quality for AVI encoding with mpeg-4 video... audio is fine

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Wed Jun 8 19:24:02 CEST 2016

I looked around quite a lot but found nothing definitive. Everything
works fine when encoding to the avi container but playing around with
bit_rate to test file size and quality. The higher the bit_rate the
bigger file size and better quality which of course is expected. So far
mostly guess work setting bit_rate for me.

It there a good answer on how the bit_rate should be set? file size is
not so important and the avi is created on the fly as a recording. All I
really want to control mostly is the quality level. I played around with
qscale some but not too much.

One formula I found was bit_rate = (width x height x fps) x (motion
level) x .07 but that can't be it. motion level is 1,2, or 4