[Libav-user] Encoding with no compression with OpenH264

muller at vki.com muller at vki.com
Thu Mar 10 21:14:23 CET 2016

>This indicates that either you have done something wrong
>or the task ("use yuv420p h264 but please don't use any
>quality") was impossible (or the encoder is really
>complete crap which I don't know).

It turns out I found some more information on using FFMPEG with OpenH264. It may not be relevant, but I thought I'd post it here. It reads:
Turns out that much/most of the control over quality-related parameters lies in the codec-specific "private" dictionary. For example:    AVCodecContext *c = <your context>;
    av_opt_set(c->priv_data, "profile", "baseline", AV_OPT_SEARCH_CHILDREN);
    av_opt_set(c->priv_data, "level", "3.0", AV_OPT_SEARCH_CHILDREN);
    av_opt_set(c->priv_data, "preset", "slow", AV_OPT_SEARCH_CHILDREN);
    av_opt_set(c->priv_data, "crf",  "18", AV_OPT_SEARCH_CHILDREN);
Judicious tweaking of these (and other) params gets me the control over quality I was searching for. This then brings up the question: can anybody suggest which private parameters I could/should try to improve the quality of an OpenH264/MP4 video? Preferably, parameters and possible options to try; I will be happy to try the combinations and report back.Thanks.-Arthur