[Libav-user] How to estimate output bitrate

YIRAN LI mrfun.china at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 02:58:37 EET 2016

Hi,

As we know many encoders have both target quality and target bitrate rate
control mode. I just want to know, is there a proper way to estimate the
target average bitrate so that output quality is very close to input.

For example if my input is a 500kbps, 640x480 video, will setting average
output bitrate to 1000kbps enough? Is there any modern encoder (mpeg4,
x264, x265) requires a higher bitrate to achieve same quality as input?

Thanks