[Libav-user] Why mjpeg decoder doesn't have cap AV_CODEC_CAP_FRAME_THREADS

daimon_swang at yahoo.com daimon_swang at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 13:22:34 EEST 2016

Hi,	I'm a gstreamer user and recently starting using gstreamer1-libav. I notice that some gst-libav codec have the “max-thread” option, which allow frames to be processed in multiple threads, while others don't. And this is decided by whether the underlying libav codec have cap "AV_CODEC_CAP_FRAME_THREADS".	So I'm wondering why some codec for picture processing (which means frames are not related) doesn't have that cap. i.e. the codec mjpegdec doesn't have the cap, while the openjpeg/pngdec do have. Is it not possible to decode mjpeg image in parallel or it's just not implemented yet.
	My use case is decoding a jpeg stream on a multi-core system, and it use only one core. I'm using libav 2.8.8, and I see no change to this cap in git master code.
Regards,Daimon