[Libav-user] multi-thread decoding

YIRAN LI mrfun.china at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 02:40:47 EEST 2016

> > I'm researching the impact multi-thread decoding may have on memory
> usage.
> > Does anyone know if enabling multi thread decoding will use more memory ?
>
> Multi-threaded decoding can be more memory-consuming than single-threaded
> decoding, FFmpeg developers do not agree whether this is unavoidable or a
> disadvantage of our implementation.
>
> > (so that more threads used, more memory required?)
> >
> > I tried to decode an H.264 encoded 4K video using command:
>
> >  ffmpeg.exe -v error -i a.mp4  -threads 0 -f null - 2>error.log
>
> How did you encode the H.264 input file?
> Test with eight reference frames and yuv 4:4:4.
>
> ​Hi Carl,

For the test video I used, using -threads 0, -threads​

​1 and -threads 2 launched 6, 8 and 11 threads (although only 6 active)​.
Does that mean this video actually is always single-thread decoded? (so
other 5 threads do other jobs) How can I tell if it's being single-thread
decoded or multi-thread decoded?

Thanks

Carl Eugen