[Libav-user] Streaming from camera to server

Andy Shaules bowljoman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 21:20:31 EEST 2016

On 9/10/2016 12:56 AM, Timur Guseynov wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am new to C++ and FFmpeg and wanted to write application that
> streams video from camera (webcam at least) to some server.
>
> I've seen StreamingGuide
> <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/StreamingGuide> and wanted to know how
> to implement it.
> I think that basic flow is like this, please correct me if I'm wrong:
>
>  1. Get input device AVInputFormat from libavdevice
>  2. Open that input with avformat_open_input
>  3. Find its streams' codecs
>  4. Get decoder with avcodec_find_decoder
>  5. Decode it somehow
>  6. Encode it for stream
>  7. Write data with muxer
>  8. Send muxed data to server
>
> So I imagine how to implement the first half of this list but not the
> second.
>
> 2 questions that I have are:
>
>  1. Do I understand the streaming flow right? What are the nuances
>     that I must consider? What modules/methods should I look into to
>     implement it?
>  2. How can I do a preview of stream in a GUI using, for example, Qt
>     Quick? Is an input device blocked by one of the processes (either
>     FFmpeg or Qt)? If it is, should I somehow copy frames for GUI to
>     show them for user or just reference it?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Kind regards,
> Timur Guseynov

That is pretty close if you want to display it in a gui.

To display it you just draw the decoded bytes to some hardware overlay.
And yes, typically only one application can acquire the capture stream
output at a time. You can register pseudo input devices which distribute
the output of an actual camera. There are products available that do this.

For the server, you could set up a output for rtmp or rtsp and then
write the encoded av packets to it.

Have Fun!

Andy