[Libav-user] Question about usage of libav in an application

Blake Senftner bsenftner at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 9 01:04:16 EET 2017

A few points of reference:

I have not completely unraveled the logic of ffplay, but I think it is using one thread as a reader thread, and when a given piece of media has multiple streams, such as a video stream and an audio stream, then a dedicated thread is created for the video and well as the audio. I think this is so each thread’s logic can be more streamlined and single purpose.
I have a video player library I wrote, based on libav; it is focused on computer vision applications, so audio, subtitles and anything other than video frames are ignored. In my logic I have a reader thread and a player thread for each video stream, and I have tested my library with 24 independent video streams playing at once.

Sincerely,
-Blake Senftner