[Libav-user] GIF API access

Malik Jahanzeb malikjahanzeb7 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 22:09:33 EET 2017

I guess gif.c functionality is exposed as a 'muxer' with the following
standard interface that all muxers have in ffmpeg:

static const AVClass gif_muxer_class = {
    .class_name = "GIF muxer",
    .item_name  = av_default_item_name,
    .version    = LIBAVUTIL_VERSION_INT,
    .option     = options,
};

AVOutputFormat ff_gif_muxer = {
    .name           = "gif",
    .long_name      = NULL_IF_CONFIG_SMALL("GIF Animation"),
    .mime_type      = "image/gif",
    .extensions     = "gif",
    .priv_data_size = sizeof(GIFContext),
    .audio_codec    = AV_CODEC_ID_NONE,
    .video_codec    = AV_CODEC_ID_GIF,
    .write_header   = gif_write_header,
    .write_packet   = gif_write_packet,
    .write_trailer  = gif_write_trailer,
    .priv_class     = &gif_muxer_class,
    .flags          = AVFMT_VARIABLE_FPS,
};

You need to find out how to use a muxer in your program. Challenge is that
ffmpeg samples are few, very high level and work at a file level. I wished
there was a sample program to just demonstrate how to use a muxer or
demuxer etc.

I needed a different muxer for my program but I couldn't find an example to
follow. I ended up surgically adding code snippets into my program.

Thanks,
Malik