[Libav-user] GIF API access

Gustav González xtingray at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 05:13:56 EET 2017

Hi!

I'm getting closer to create an animated GIF using a (Qt) QImage array as
input.

This is the latest GIF file I could create ->
http://maefloresta.com/tmp/test.gif

Using this method as part of the process, I insert every frame into the GIF
file:

writeVideoFrame(AVFormatContext *oc, AVStream *video_st, const QImage &image)
{
    QImage img = image.convertToFormat(Format_RGB888);
    AVPacket pkt;
    av_init_packet(&pkt);
    pkt.flags |= AV_PKT_FLAG_KEY;
    pkt.stream_index = video_st->index;
    pkt.data = (uint8_t *) img.bits();
    pkt.size = sizeof(AVFrame);

    av_write_frame(oc, &pkt);
    frameCount++;
}

As you can see it, the GIF file is not animated. Just the first frame is
displayed, but the picture encoding is accurate. I was sneaking around
inside the container using an hex editor and the 15 frames I created for
that example are there. I am missing some kind of flag or instruction to
activate the animated format.

Any suggestion?

PS: I tried to use the function *avcodec_encode_video2()* to add the frames
into the file, but it was unsuccessful. Creating my own packets (AVPacket)
was the best approach for now.

> > I needed a different muxer for my program but I couldn't find an example
> > follow.
>
> Did you look into doc/examples?
>
> Carl Eugen

  Gustav Gonzalez