[Libav-user] Help to understand PTS, DTS, timebase

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 02:32:41 EET 2017

> Thanks, Carl!!!
>
>> PTS 0 1 2 3 (when it needs to be present, order)
>> DTS 0 3 1 1(when it needs to be decoded)
>
> Yes =(, you're right, it was supposed to be DTS 0 3 1 2

> (assuming 0 is an I-Frame, 1 and 2 were a B-Frames that
> depend on 3 and 3 is P-Frame).

I may miss something but I believe now your pts are wrong,
I suspect a B-frame is shown first.

I cannot really answer your other questions but I know that
H.264 streams exist for which FFmpeg is unable to produce
correct timestamps.
(The specification is apparently non-trivial.)

Please fix your quoting, do not mix quoting-styles!

Carl Eugen