[Libav-user] Encoding MPEG DASH

Michael IV explomaster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 19:40:33 EEST 2017

Hi all.

I have two questions:

1) is there any example how to encode video (h264) into MPEG DASH?
I tried doing it with setting output file name to be with extension ".mpd"
and
avformat_alloc_output_context2(&mOutputFormatContext, NULL, "dash",
filename.c_str())

This setup produces single .mpd file and a number of video chunks with
"m4s" extensions. The problem is, the video doesn't play. I tried with
VLC,but it doesn't play neither my files nor some standard DASH files I
downloaded from the web.
Then I tried to play it in DASH.js .And that JS lib fails at some point
before the playback even started. I  validated the .mpd file in
http://dashif.org/conformance.html

But when comparing the output files to the DASH demos from here:
http://dash-mse-test.appspot.com/media.html

I see that both file extensions of each chunks and the data inside the .mpd
is different.

2)If I want to stream the chunks right after those encoded,without saving
those to files,what's the best way to approach this using ffmpeg libs?

Tnx